Aug 8, 2009

Decisions, Decisions, and Elephants

I've gone to three different schools from Kindergarten to Eighth grade. I can probably name all of my classmates (as in I sat *in class* with them) since them, and for about half, I know their last names as well. I remember a lot of things that are inconsequential, but forget the important things.

I remember that Karlita used to sniff my chocolate pudding, then we learned that she was so allergic to chocolate that even that would break her out and stopped.

I remember that as the bus turned the final corner to go down my block, Karlita and I would stand up and 'surf'. Arms out, knees bent, and see who falls first, if either of us do.

I remember that Alex Camacho was right in front of me in line and Paul was right behind me, but Paul transfered out after Kindergarten and I used to wonder why he just disappeared because I liked him and Paul was cool.

I remember that once Sandrine laughed so hard she peed her pants a little in first grade.

I remember that Karlita would come over my house on half days, since her Mom would still be at work. We'd watch Dragon Tales in my great-grandmother's bedroom and eat soup that she made us. I remember trying the mushroom flavor and it being so hot that we put ice cubes in it to make it cool faster. Then made a mess of our food because it tasted bad.

I remember the day I threw up during Ms. Meister's math class. I remeber that she said 'Not on me.' and I was devastated because I was going to be sick, and Ms. Meister didn't believe me, even though it was legitamate because she was wearing a white shirt, and never mind because she was taking me right across the hall to the nurse and not three minutes later I was sick into the garbage can. I remember waiting in the nurse's office because my mom was over an hour away, and I remember laying in my great-grandmother's bed room that evening and rolling over to vomit into a red bucket with a crack in it, getting up to go to the bathroom after, and going back to sleep.

I remember Karlita telling me people with perfect attendance from Kindergarten until Eighth Grade would win a trip to Florida and we decided that we'd be sure to have at least one perfect attendance between the two of us (if I wasn't there, she would be) and we'd share the trip and take her mum.

I remember that Jacob's favorite color was purple and he liked butterflies and I think it was Sandrine that found that funny, but I didn't find it funny at all because purple butterflies were awesome anyway.

I remember walking into the 2nd grade classroom with an icepack on my left eye because I'd fractured it the night before but I couldn't back out on my deal with Karlita because she wouldn't have backed out either.

I remember sliding down the halls during the sock hop.

I remember thinking the toilet paper reminded me of mini paper towels.

I remember doing my homework at Karlita's house and being almost done, and Karlita getting up to get her fifth snack and wondering why she kept doing it if she knew her mum would get angry.

I remember sitting in Karlita's living room as she cried and her mom brushed her hair. I think I was supposed to be pretending to read my book but I really just wanted to make her feel better and promised myself that I'd help her with her homework next time.

I remember the homework helper plan not working.

I remember that Karlita would eat the nasty bits of her Lucky Charms because she gave most of the marshmellows to me.

And I remember these things and they mean a lot to me and I wonder if they remember these things too, or if they don't even remember who I am. I wonder if I found someone from K-2nd was going to my school if we'd be considered 'old friends' or 'total strangers'.

I found them on Facebook. But I'm not sure if it's okay to assume they remember like I do. If I'd be 'some person I went to kindergarten with' or... I don't even know because that is what I am, isn't it?

So I've got to make a decision. Should I go for it? Remind them? Ignore it and move on?

1 comment:

  1. Go for it. We (the moms) still talk about you because you're one of "our kids." C. Peevie still remembers the books you gave him in kindergarten because you had already read them, but he wasn't reading yet, until the middle of kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete