Jun 12, 2009

Seafood and Bentos

I have a blog post to make about one of my like... two memories from Kindergarten. But this is not that post. I have more urgent things to say.

I used to be kinda... set back when people didn't get my jokes. Then I realized people are different and have different tastes and I just stopped caring.

So today I went to Red Lobster with my mum. I'd bought her a gift card there for Mother's Day *cough*letsnottalkaboutwhatigotpeopleformothersdayrightnow*cough*. It was a gift for the both of us, in a way. Red Lobster is one of her favorite restaurants, and I haven't really tried seafood, so it was something the both of us could benefit from.

So I tried their Grand Buffet or whatever, it came with Shrimp Scampi, Fried Shrimp, Lobster, and Crab.

And it was mildly good. I've always had a problem with eating lobster from Red Lobster... I can't get over the fact that I have probably looked what I'm eating right in the face. Once I was waiting for a table and they took one of the lobsters out. T_T That was what is called a Moment. Capital letters and italics and everything.

Before today (yesterday, now, I guess) I had hated shrimp. I still don't like it too much, the meat is like... hard, but I'd eat it. I preferred the scampi, but I couldn't help thing "I could really go for some chicken scampi." And I mean(t) it. The sauce they came in and baked chicken would probably taste very good. I may try to make it sometime.

Now the lobster itself was okay, but the whole face eat thing is just... no. I don't think I'll ever really be a lobster eater.

The crab was yumnomwonderliciousyumdeliciawesome. I want to make a bento (japanese lunchobox. Click here for an explanation.) with crab meat someday.

Speaking of bentos, I plan on buying a bento box either tomorrow or online in the next few days, because I plan on taking my lunch three times a week in the fall. I don't have Celiac, but wheat and I are still not on speaking terms and dairy's giving me the cold shoulder. So I'll take lunch on the days the menu looks particularly unforgiving.

A bento box would be a fun way to try Japanese cuisine, and it would possibly solve my dietary issues. And if all else fails, I could just take onigiri (rice balls). That may sound like an unfilling lunch, but I could fill it with salmon (or crab meat!), or chicken, or umeboshi, or just about anything, really. My mum thought I should be a bit more hesitant about taking my lunch, but I really just don't care. For three years I hated the school lunches, and just ate at home after school, and people thought I suffered from aneroxia nervosa. Another problem solved by the amazing bento box.

This also means that I'll need to learn how to use chopsticks, which I kind of learned and unlearned (I was using skewers... don't judge me.) a while ago. It's really not that difficult.

If I plan on living in Japan, I'll need to eat the food, won't I? Speaking the language isn't the only thing to do.

1 comment: